Health Department Letter Grades
The NYC Hospitality Alliance led the charge to reform the Health Department's Letter Grade system, which helped reduce fines by more than $20 million a year, while ensuring public health.
- Fines levied by the Department to Health reduced to the amount collected before the Letter Grade system started.
- Fine waiver for initial inspections receiving an A upon adjudication, an issue we fought for from day one.
- Creation of an optional consultative, educational inspection program where no violations will be issued.
- Creation of an ombudsman office to receive and address comments, complaints, and compliments.
- Creation of an inspection code of conduct.
- Creation of an advisory board which the industry will be a part of to systematically review the restaurant inspection program, letter grades, the point system and make recommendations for improvement.
- Increased and improved reporting of restaurant inspection data so we can finally prove that the majority of violations issued are for minor issues.
- Relief for not previously cited violations relating to fixtures.